Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fort-4-Fitness 4-miler: The recap

Move that body: 2.75-mile run

I’ve spent far more time than I’d care to admit working on my recap of Saturday’s race only to come up with this:

My Fort-4-Fitness race ended the same way it began – with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I didn’t intend for such a thing to happen but I guess that’s what happens when you give it your all.

And my all I did give it.

Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff, eh?

I am a bit frustrated that I cannot come up with a thoughtful post and not some rambling, too long recap that you won’t want to read. I blame Mommy Brain. (Yes, it’s a real condition. Look it up.) So instead, I’ll give you the highlights … and the lowlights.

 

Highlights

*The pre-race buzz. It was so nice to be a part of the running community again and feed off their excitement.

*For the most part, the miles felt “short” – I reached mile markers far before than I thought I should.

*This race was the first time I chatted with my fellow runners along the course. It was nice to make new friends and support new racers.

*Discovering that no, no I had not lost my finishing kick.

*Seeing an average pace that I haven’t seen in a LONG time.

*Getting to see my boys waiting for me after I finished and learning that one of them was a good guy and slept nearly the whole time.

*Finishing in time to spectate the half-marathoners, who ran just down the street from our house. Mark, Miles, Denali and I were able to cheer on a few of our friends, a guy at the expo and a bunch of brave folks tackling the distance.

Lowlights

*I had been assigned to corral P because I had signed up with the stroller. It was the last corral. Even though I’m not as fast as I once was, I knew I needed to move up. I selected “I” under the premise that I should be in the middle of the pack. Well, I ended up in the middle of a pack of people dressed in denim and windbreakers with no desire to run. I’m glad they were participating but I just wish they hadn’t been in my way.

*I’m still not good at running hills and the neighborhood sections of the course featured some rolling inclines that killed my pace.

*Learning that my finishing kick (a respectable 7:37 pace and a pace that I once ran a mile at) caused me to hurl shortly after crossing the finish line.

*Discovering that the gentleman, a very nice guy from the running store, who won the 4-mile race in 22-something went on to run the half-marathon in 1:17. And I bet he didn’t have puke on his hands.

What are your day’s highlights and lowlights?

6 comments:

  1. I was waiting for the full recap to comment. I like your chosen race outfit, very cute! Every race has highs and lows. Sounds like enough highs for some good memories from your comeback race. :)

    Casey is crazy awesome! I looked up the winners and was like OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did he win the 4 miler, but he placed 10th in the half which began a mere 5.5 minutes after he crossed the finish line for the 4 miler - incredible!!!!

    Your photos are awesome. Your race was awesome. Puking - meh, not that awesome, but it certainly made for a memorable come back story!!!

    So glad you found your kick and felt alright about your return to racing (11 weeks after having major surgery resulting in the birth of your son!!!!!) - who does that? WHO DOES THAT??? UMMM, ROCK STAR YOU that's who!!!!

    Seriously - that cheering (and running with me) was priceless!!!! You have no idea. If EVER there is a chance for you to join me again - hesitate not - jump beside and come along - the.most.invaluable thing that happened to me during the race!!!!

    Your pictures are super adorable. Miles is a heart breaker - those girls at daycare better watch out!!! he might be rollin' with the moves quite yet, but watch out!!!! (p.s. can you give me a blog lesson on how to post photos like that? I'm seeing a run followed by a diet coke and an internet connection in our future). :)

    I'm so proud of you - I think you were amazing! You still ran 4 miles faster than I can so . . .that's at least something to hang your hat on. One of your photos shows a girl in jeans and a jean jacket - yeah, she was in the 4 mile race but missed the turn and ended up in the half marathon. "C" will LOVE her photo - you guys are just cool folks!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

    Welcome back to racing chica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a race well run. I can't imagine doing what you are doing 11 weeks post pregnancy. You are doing awesome!

    For the record, Miles is adorable! I, too, love the way you have your photos displayed, awesome!

    I also admire you being able to do a race recap in a way that I cannot - I ramble on and on in mine! And that's when I don't even remember much! I need to take lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a rock star! It's seldom that I push myself hard enough in a race - puking just means you left it ALL out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the highlights and lowlights as a way of recapping your race. That's so frustrating to be stuck in a pack of walkers and I have been there so many times. Awesome though that you saw a pace you haven't seen in a long time. That rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha. That is the best paragraph recap I have EVER seen :)

    ReplyDelete