Friday, May 20, 2011

The ‘I don’t know what to make for dinner’ dinner

Move that body: 2.7-mile walk with Denali

The menu plan called for leftovers last night.

Except we didn’t have any leftovers. And the chicken that had been in the fridge was put in the freezer.

What’s a girl to do? I mean, besides cry and make the husband go get Subway.

Here’s what:

P1000757

Take leftover bag of diced potatoes with onions and throw it in a skillet with canola oil.

P1000758

Add the three mushrooms and half a green pepper that you found in the crisper, sauteeing until potatoes are crisp and vegetables soften.

P1000762

Add spinach leftover from the week’s pasta dish and halve some grape tomatoes leftover from, umm, something. Cook until spinach begins to wilt.

P1000763

Add egg mixture made with 4 eggs, 3 whites and a half-cup of fat free milk. Cook in the skillet until the eggs begin to set on the sides. I would have used 3 eggs and 4 whites but Mark was watching and got a little too curious for my liking.

P1000764

Top with cheese. I used about 3/4 cup Touch of Philadelphia mozzarella because that’s what I had and using 3/4 cup meant I could finish the bag. Who cares if I really wished that I had cheddar. Pop the skillet it unto a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.

P1000759

While the frittata is baking, wonder just what your husband is doing to the dog. Does Denali really enjoy this?

P1000766

Remove frittata from oven when cheese is bubbly, maybe even browning, and eggs are set. I cut it into four servings and served with low-calorie whole-wheat toast. The recipe would serve four comfortably with the addition of a side of fruit. No fruit? It serves more like three, three and a half.

Word of warning: When you are serving, don’t forget that the handle of the skillet is hot. Because it is. And if you touch it …

P1000768P1000769

Well, OUCH!

What’s your meal in a pinch?

3 comments:

  1. I usually love the challenge of now knowing what to make for dinner and then experimenting with whatever random ingredients I have! I have come up with some of my best recipes that way! Usually my "in a pinch" dinners include some sort of rice or risotto concoction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative , healthy, and looks delicious - soooo bummer about the burn!!!

    We usually "go to" soup that we have frozen from a previous batch and a grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny, I made a version of this on Wednesday because we were pressed for time.

    I've also been known to make hardy quesadillas and panini sandwiches - something about the melted cheese and crispy bread screams yummy dinner to me :)

    ReplyDelete