Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Running off at the mouth

Pre-workout fuel: Slice of whole-wheat toast with Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams and cinnamon roast coffee
Workout: Ran 4.22 miles in 37 minutes, 13 seconds; average pace, 8:49.

I talk about running all the time. I talk about running here, on the blog. I discuss my running schedule with my friends. I chat about upcoming races with co-workers. I even had a conversation about running in the heat with a car salesman.

Never, ever, did I think I would talk about running with my doctor while she was all up in my business. (Sorry, but there's no other way to put it.) Today, though, I did.

It all started when the doc noticed that I had lost weight since last year (67 pounds to be exact). She asked how I did it and while I was tempted to list off drugs, deprivation, surgery, I told her that I had taken up running.

"Oh, are you doing Fort-4-Fitness?" she asked, referring to the upcoming half-marathon in town.

I'm not so sure, I told her, going on to tell her about the imminent Rock 'n' Roll Chicago. From there, it was tales from the Indy Mini, the Flying Pig, training challenges and injuries (hers, not mine). It was quite nice to have another runner to chat with and someone with whom to exchange encouragement and advice.

I just wish I had been dressed and not feeling so vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment