Sunday, July 18, 2010

Half a chance

Pre-workout fuel: Slice of whole-wheat toast with apple butter and cinnamon roast coffee
Mid-workout fuel: Powerbar chew at mile 3, Gu at mile 6 and another Powerbar chew at mile 9
Workout: Ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours, 7 minutes and 58 seconds; average pace, 9:45.


Whoever said the smell of coffee could get you out of bed in the morning was lying. Straight up lying.

I had my alarm set for 5:15 a.m. and had the coffee pot on delay start for the same time. What time did I get up? 5:45, 6 maybe. Getting out for a run before the sun rose ... epic fail.

Nonetheless, I was out shortly after 6:30 a.m. on a breezy, not overly hot, morning. My course took me along the Greenway, through downtown, down south and past some of the city's most amazing houses. Nothing gets the running mojo going like passing houses that I'd love to live in but never will.

My game plan or this long run, my last before RnR Chicago(!!!), was to start off super slow for the first four miles, maybe 6, and let it go from there. And, once again, it worked. I did feel tired for mile 11 but I think it was more of a mental challenge than anything. Once I got myself to relax, let my shoulders fall, I felt better.

I even felt good enough to take the drunk girl's way home (zig zagging between streets) to make the run that was going to come in a bit over 12 to an even 13.1. What didn't feel so good was my dripping wet clothes and having to smell myself that last mile. I guess no one said running is glamorous.

Now it's off to my friend's to hang by the pool and relax. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment