Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sink or swim

"Why choose to fail when success is an option?" - Jillian Michaels

Workout: 30-Day Shred, 2.25-mile walk with dog and 600-yard swim

I love Jillian Michaels. Seriously, I do. Her workouts are tough in a way that many other workouts are not. She combines upper and lower body moves, as well as integrates cardio into the mix. And, my favorite part, she talks about how difficult the moves are and never does them herself. I wouldn't want to do a billion lunges and anterior raises. Oh, how they are the bane of my existence.

Others things I noticed about 30-Day Shred, part 1m this morning: Triceps were seemingly absent, jumping jacks are not a good exercise for apartment dwellers and I'm not coordinated enough to do bicycle crunches.

After I finished the OnDemand selection, I tried to find a cardio routine so I could avoid the pool. No such luck. So I ate breakfast, got the dog on a leash and set off.


The three of us (Mark came along) went on the normal loop of about 2.25 miles in some seriously muggy weather. Thank goodness I brought water. By the way, I always bring water on walks because it's a good chance to check off some of those eight glasses.

We went at a good clip (thanks, Denali), and I now had no excuses not to make it to the pool for the half-hour open swim. Nothing's changed in a week - I still suck at swimming. Although, I was joined by middle schoolers (not high schoolers) and an older gentleman who swam at the same pace as me.

I managed to crank out 600 yards in the time allotted. I even went a few lengths without desperately clinging to the side of the pool before braving the deep end. I know practice makes, umm, better but the first thing I need to do is relax in the pool ... and get lessons from one of those 12-year-old girls.

1 comment: