Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Heat wave

There are few things more comforting on a cold winter's day than a big bowl of soup. Somehow, through dark magic I assume, the mixture of vegetables and broth is able to warm you up from the inside out.

Photobucket

And it is for that exact reason that I made a big batch of taco soup on the week in January when Northeast Indiana is going to see temperatures in the 50s.



I'm such a winner.

Really, I am. Regardless of whether its warm outside, my taco soup is a delicious, hearty meal. The protein from the ground turkey and beans and the fiber from the beans, corn and tomatoes are sure to satisfy. It has a bit of heat from taco seasoning and green chiles but is mild enough to serve the kiddies.

Photobucket

Oh, and it makes a ton. I'll have this soup for lunch four out of five days this week and still have enough leftovers to give some to my mother-in-law and freeze a few bowls. And let me tell you, having  soup in the freezer makes it much harder to justify eating greasy fast food on break because you don't have time to put something together.

If you are worried about finding this time to put this slow cooker meal together, let me assure you that this recipe is my favorite type of slow cooker meal: open and dump.

009-1_zps170ce9a2

Skinny Taco Soup


1 pound lean ground turkey, browned and drained (optional or substitute protein of choice)
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans corn
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (7-ounce) can diced chiles
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet of low sodium mix
1 packet ranch mix
Salt and pepper, to taste

Add everything to the slow cooker - tomatoes and corn are undrained - and cook on low for 8-10 hours The longer the better here. Serve with corn chips, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese and plan Greek yogurt. Freezes very well.

Note: If you actually thought of those things before going to the store.

2 comments:

  1. Oh My! Better break out the summer gear! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Love taco soup! I made chili this week...it's been nearly 60. I sould have saved it for this weekend when it's going to be in the teens!

    ReplyDelete