Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday love

Pre-workout eats: Orange-cranberry oats

Workout: Ran 3.17 miles; average pace, 9:18.

I’m having a FML kind of morning. But there’s no need to let a pair of “stolen” keys ruin my morning (it’s a long story that involves me being very upset with my husband). It’s Friday, and it’s time for Friday love!

crock-pot-santa-fe-chickenFood. I try to make a dish at the beginning of the week that I can take to work for lunch several times. This week it was Santa Fe Chicken inspired by Gina @ Skinny Taste.  It’s a slow cooker recipe but we all know my slow cooker is out of commission until the new lid is ordered and shipped. So I made some adjustments (and additions, based on how I thought this tasted after it was made).

Santa Fe Chicken

1 large chicken breast

1 can Rotel tomatoes with mild green chiles

1 cup frozen corn

1 can black beans

1/2 jalapeno, minced

3 scallions, sliced

1 cup chicken broth

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Salt to taste

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients except the cilantro to a Dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or so until it’s no longer soupy. Stir in cilantro. Serve over rice, with cheese and sour cream (reminds me of a burrito bowl at Chipotle). For lunch today, I plan to put it on a bed of lettuce for a taco salad.

Fitness. I’m probably the last person on Earth to not share one of these videos on my blog but this one really made me feel cool. Especially as I ran this morning when it was 18 degrees.

Life. Even though I’m not particularly fond of him right now, I am excited to celebrate Mark’s birthday with him tomorrow. He’s going to be 31. 31! Did I tell you he’s going to be 31? Ha! I have some surprises in store for him so hopefully they go over well. (And I’m planning to be a good blogger this weekend and take pictures!)

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you are having a lame morning!! That santa fe chicken looks amazing!! Awesome workout. Can't wait to watch the movie when I get home....never works when I am at school:( Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete